Posted 2022-10-04 02:29:09
So for the past month Ive been working on this little top down RTS game.
Yall can check it out here.
- WASD to move the camera.
- Hold left shift to move quicker.
- P / Esc to pause.
- Left click to select units / bases.
- Right click to command units to move to the mouse position.
- Middle click to deselect all units and bases.
# The Game:
- There are two teams: Yellow and Purple.
- You start on yellow but can switch teams in the pause menu (This will not be in the final version).
- Each team can spawn units from bases captured by them (just click on a team aligned base, and click on one of the icons at the bottom).
- Note that only the sword unit (officially called a trooper) can be spawned as of current.
- Teams can capture bases by sending units to the base that they want to capture.
- How close a tower is to being captured can be seen in the bottom right while that tower is selected.
- Units will automatically attack enemies in range.
- Units have a 1 in 70 chance to land a crit, which deals 3x damage and creates a star particle effect.
- The game currently experiences a huge lag issue with rendering
- Im going to have to add a bunch of graphical optimization options to make this work.
- WebGL also breaks alot of the particle effects I had made because it doesnt support compute shaders, so I cant use VFX Graph in WebGL builds.
- The game runs fine on standalone builds, but it gets chopped up by WebGL.
- And I have to use WebGL because this game is for a competition that requires that the game be playable in browser.
- TL;DR: WebGL is the root of all evil and if WebGPU was finished then all of my problems would be solved.
- Fix all the broken particle effects and lag that WebGL caused.
- Make units take some time to spawn, queuing up excess spawns.
- Add in two kinds of resources used for making units, gold and wood.
- Add all the unit types:
- Miners: Collect gold and wood, slow and fragile.
- Troopers: Already in the game, basic infantry unit. Mid-high speed, somewhat fragile.
- Archers: Fires arrows at nearby enemies, and runs away from those who get to close to comfort. (Counters griffins by being able to shoot them midair). Mid-low speed, fragile.
- Irons: Durable units with a sledgehammer and an energy shield. (Counters archers by being able to block all their arrows.) Mid-high speed, durable.
- Griffins: Aerial units with a jetpack and a spear that deals stun on hit. (Counters irons by being able to stay safely out of their attacking range, then swooping in to stun them). Fast and somewhat fragile.
- Warlocks: Powerful magic units that are heavily reliant on a yet to be applied building system. (Long story short: certain buldings can be placed around points, and each one has their own unique effect along with a spell that they can give to linked warlocks). Normal speed, durable.
- Engineer: A unit that can build up to 3 small robots each, which will fight for them. Slow, somewhat fragile.
- Gadgets: Built by engineers, act alot llike troopers. Fast and fragile.
- Goliaths: A huge, tanky unit that can sweep up and stun crowds of enemies. Slow and very durable.
- Add the afformentioned building system
- No im not listing all the buildings here there are like 12.
- Get an actual name for this game.
- I have a total of 9 missions planned for the games campaign, and I will need to make an enemy ai for them.
- Steal an actual name for this game.
- Go to sleep.
Last edited on 2022-10-04 02:30:56
Posted 2022-10-04 18:30:30
Just noticed some bugs that are causing the UI to go all wonky, will be fixing those too.
Posted 2022-12-02 23:48:27
alright just added like, a quarter of the game. future updates will be on my site.
also the building system got killed in favor of a less complicated system that i will also not be explaining
run it on the lowest possible graphics settings if you want to have frames